Check out our Sponsors

Sunday, August 19, 2007

One more in the music category

Specially requested, let's get away from misinterpreted and go straight to just a flat out fuck you song. What is the all time number one fuck-off tune? I've already got my vote.

Yesterday's: I've gotta give it to Nick. I can't think of another song as consistently misinterpreted as betterman

Nick:
Pearl Jam - Better Man
It's funny, because Ed sings this in a manner that sounds tender and loving, and people treat it as if it's some kind of loving song, like 'can't find a better man' means 'you couldn't find a better guy.'

But just look at the lyrics
'waiting, watching the clock
it's 4 o'clock, it's got to stop
tell him, take no more
she practices her speech
as he opens the door, she rolls over
pretends to sleep as he looks her over.'

Then the second verse
'talking, to herself there's no one else
who needs to know, she tells herself'

'she love him
she don't want to leave this way
she needs him
that's why she'll be back again'

This is a women who's been horrendously scarred by an abusive relationship. She's basically blaming himself for the beatings she's taken at this man's hands, but she doesn't know what she can do, because she doesn't think she can find a 'better man.' The nature of domestic violence is such that the woman often blames herself and can't bring herself to leave. This song is about that. It's a heartbreaking song, yet it may have been Pearl Jam's second biggest radio song other than Last Kiss.


Two days ago: O-Train
"Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" -- Bloodhound Gang

While this song is end-on-end sexual innuendos, it's clear that Jimmy Pop truly has deep down feelings for someone special, and the song is really just his way of conveying his intentions. He just finds a creative way of saying so:

"Vulcanize the whoopee stick in the ham wallet,
Cattle prod the oyster ditch with the lap rocket,
Batter dip the cranny ax in the gut locker,
Retrofit the pudding hatch (ooh la la) with the boink swatter."

He goes on to say that he "doesn't want to beat around the bush" and continues after the chorus with:

"Marinate the nether rod in the squish mitten,
Power drill the yippee bog with the dude piston,
Pressure wash the quiver bone in the bitch wrinkle,
Cannonball the fiddle cove (ooh la la)with the pork steeple."

Jimmy's dedication to finding new and alternative ways to describe a single act clearly show how smitten he is, and how his heart yearns for her affection.

Honorable Mention:
Dave Chappelle (as R. Kelly) -- "Piss On You"

3 comments:

O-Train said...

Bob Dylan - "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

Dylan, ever the artful storyteller, sings a song in the first person about a man who is just plain fed up with his woman's bullshit. It was once described as, "the last word in a long, embittered argument, a paper-thin consolation sung with spite."

The song begins with him saying that he'll be gone by morning, and there's no use wondering why if she doesn't know by now because "it'll never do somehow."

He describes a miserable relationship in lines like:
"But I wish there was somethin' you would do or say,
To try and make me change my mind and stay,
We never did too much talkin' anyway,
But don't think twice, it's all right."

He also shows the woman is shown to be a bitch in lines like,
"I'm a-thinkin' and a-wond'rin', walkin' down the road,
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told,
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul."

The song ends with some of the most perfect lyrics:
"So long, honey, babe,
Where I'm bound, I can't tell.
Goodbye's too good a word, babe,
So I'll just say fare thee well.
I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind,
You coulda done better but I don't mind,
You just kinda wasted my precious time"

The man is reconciling the relationship that he deems a "waste of time" by picking up and leaving before morning. Troughout the fingerpicking, Dylan maintains the same volume and tone. What's perfect about this song is that he doesn't need to scream and yell about it as his words are genuine in describing his feelings in an almost chilling way.

This song has also been covered several times. My favorite is by Social Distortion frontman Mike Ness, whose gravelly voice seems to add a little more misery than Dylan.

O-Train said...

Honorable Mention:

Weezer - "Why Bother?"
An angst ridden 2:08 where Rivers asks himself why he should bother going up to girls who will only break his heart. The chorus:
"Why bother? It's gonna hurt me,
It's gonna kill when you desert me.
This happened to me twice before,
Won't happen to me anymore!"

Mr. T Experience - "Told You Once"
The whole song is about 20 seconds long and straight to the point.
"Fuck you, fucking fucked-up fucks.
'Cause fucked up fuckups fucking suck,
Told you once you stupid cunts,
You fucked-up fuckups all fucked up"

Puddle Of Mudd - "She Hates Me"
Pretty self-explanatory

Anonymous said...

Boston's own Toxic Narcotic with some lyrics for a tasty punk anthem called, "People Suck."

"I'll say it to your face
(Fuck you you fucking fuck)
I hate the human race
(Fuck you you fucking fuck)
It's just a fucking waste
(Fuck you you fucking fuck)
'Cause I'm a human racist and people fucking suck,
people fucking suck"

Note, by saying, I'm a 'human racist', he's referring to the human race.

It pretty much covers everything, eh?