Check out our Sponsors

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

M-Kay

Here's a fun one:

Who is the best adult on South Park?

Yesterday's: Fuck you guys for being awesome and making this really hard for me. I guess it's not your fault so much as Tim Burton's. Can I just declare him the winner? Due to my own personal biases I'm going to go with O-Train, runner-ups to Nicole and Nick because they were all good.

O-Train:
As much as I love Edward Scissorhands, it'll be my honorable mention today.

Big Fish is a magical story based around a father-son conflict and wrapped in a world that straddles fantasy and reality. If you've read the book, you'll realize just how far beyond Tim Burton took this movie, as Daniel Wallace's novel only brushed many aspects of the film. There's times in the movie where you can see Burton letting his imagination run wild. Visually it can be stunning as it tells the story of a man trying to come to grips with the stories his father told him and trying to determine what's real and what's not. The ending is fantastic, and almost every girl was crying in the theater when the lights went up.

Also receiving votes:
-- Beetlejuice ("Nice fuckin' model!")
-- Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Nicole:
Hands down, Edward Scissorhands. (Yes, the pun was intended.) Burton both directed and cowrote this beautiful, haunting film. I always like movies which ask you to suspend your disbelief, and in doing so you totally believe what they are telling you. (I am a Vonnegut fan, after all). Such is the case with this movie. Johnny Depp is awesome as the title character, the cinematography is interesting, flawless, and beautiful (think: Winona Ryder twirling in the snow), and the story itself has a heart, complete with themes of alienation, infatuation, acceptance, and love.

Nick:
I instantly change my vote, however, because Mars Attacks is his best, while Big Fish is a close second.

Jack Nicholson as the president and his wife, a crazy Glenn Close. Rod Steiger as the crazy general. Michael J. Fox as weirder Stephanopolous. Pierce Brosnan, Annette Bening, Martin Short, Natalie Portman (looking very tasty to my then 15 year old self...I didn't realize then that her tits would never ever grow, which has always disappointed me about her) Jim Fucking Brown, the greatest football player ever, as a badass ex-boxer. Jack Black as a man named Billy Glenn and of course, topping it all, Tom Jones singing It's Not Unusual.

Absurd movie, with crazy bloodthirsty martians. My favorite part comes when the martians are holding up the device that translates their language into English. As the device says 'Don't run, we are your friends," the martian holding said device is toasting some poor soul.

The absurdity of the solution (playing Slim Whitman records that explode the martians' heads) is so brilliant, I won't even take away points for putting that ugly, unfunny hag Sarah Jessica Parker in the movie.

(I can't believe I co-signed Big Fish before I remembered this...I knew I was forgetting something brilliant that I absolutely loved.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many to choose from, but I'm going to go with Mr. Marsh. He tries so hard to be cool and make that connection with Stan, but fails miserably. Plus, he has some of the all-time best South Park one liners including:
"Stan theres just better things you could be doing on a Saturday than singing and dancing. You could be watching tv or laying in bed."
or
"I thought this was America"
and who can forget
"I'm not an r-tard"

Randy is the man.

Anonymous said...

I can't BELIEVE I missed the tim burton question! lame...for the record, my vote goes to Big Fsh as well. As much as a love Edward Scissor Hands, I was definitely one of those girls that was sobbing in the theater when the lights came up.
As for the answer to your South Park question, there is only one correct choice and that is Mr. (Mrs.) Garrison--the most unfeminine transexual of all time.
Honorable mentions are as follows:
Big Gay Al, Mr. Slave, Kenny's white trash parents, and Satan.

Becca said...

Chef!

Even though he got lame at the end and wanted to have sex with children, he always gave good advice up to that point. Also...

I love his chocolate salted balls.

Anonymous said...

The General in Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

They gave him Admiral Ackbar's voice, which is awesome. He was the military genius behind Operation Human Shield and Operation Get Behind the Darkie. He shot Bill Gates in the head for Windows 98, and when asked if he'd heard of the Emancipation Proclamation, replied, "I don't listen to hip hop."

All funny, all offensive...all very South Park.

O-Train said...

I'm gonna go with Randy Marsh, purely for the "Oh...*naggers*" scene on Wheel of Fortune. Also, lets not forget his montage of fights with other Little League fathers set against "You're The Best Around" by Joe Esposito from Karate Kid.

Honorable Mention:
-- Jimbo Kern and Ned Gerblansky
-- Officer Barbrady

Unknown said...

Not because of the title of this post, but I would say the best is Mr. Mackey...mmmkay. He teaches us that drugs are bad, mmkay, and we shouldn't do drugs. If we do drugs, we're bad...mmkay. Ever since the first Mr. Hankey episode (who, by the way is probably my favorite South Park character overall), he had me at "Mookie stinks". And then the episode where Mr. Mackey does drugs... classic.

...mmkay

Honorable mention would have to go to the midget in a bikini.