Check out our Sponsors

Friday, August 3, 2007

drunken buffoon posing as a poet

You know what I love about that line Nick, the fact that the actor who uttered it would later portray Truman Capote, who probably could have made the list for famous alkies as well.

I just saw Simpsons tonight, enjoyed it a great deal, but for tonight I want to know, what was the all-time best movie to come from a TV show?

Things to consider: Answers should be based first on the quality of the movie, then the quality of the TV show and not vice versa.

Yesterday's: Here's my reasoning. A solid argument from O-Train for the Mint Julep, but there's something very Gatsby about that drink, and I love all things Gatsby. Plus, I don't feel like it's common enough to really be all that pretentious. Martini was the most popular answer with Good arguments all around, but I've gotta give it to Nicole with an honorable mention to Nick for really embodying the spirit of the question and offering the most pretentious answer (that always gets bonus points from me).

Nicole:
The most pretentious drink I can think of is Courvoisier on the rocks or Cristal. Nothing says "nouveau riche rapper" or "white frat boy trying to be black" more than these drinks. (Interesting fact: Truman Capote was a huge Cristal fan, also a big fag, and wrote about it in "Answered Prayers." And Napoleon is said to have loooved the Courvoisier. But I digress.)

After that it's a tie between a gimlet (four parts gin and one part lime juice) and a sidecar (equal parts brandy, Cointreau, and lemon juice.) These drinks, however, have more of an "old money, smoking cigars while wearing loafers and counting your $100s" effect.


Nick:
Jack and coke

Because then your trying to be like me, and frankly, you just can't pull it off.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Saddam and Satan and they plan world domination. Terrance and Phillip in trouble for making kids swear. War with Canada. Vive la resistance. The songs are amazing, the characters are brilliant, the plot is genius. What more can you ask for? It's an amazing movie and an groundbreaking show that makes me proud to have graduated from the same high school as Matt and Trey. Ray, when choosing the best answer to today's question, ask yourself, "What would Brian Boitano do?"

Nicole Cammorata said...

Okay, I totally agree with South Park - it was extreme and went further than the show. It was quality, it did the show justice, it pushed the envelope further and it can also stand alone. But where that has already been said, I must make my case for Wayne's World. Hear me out:
Okay so I know Wayne's World came from SNL, so I don't know if this specifically counts as a "TV show turned movie," but let's just say it does. Anyway, "Wayne's World" itself was a sketch about a cable access show, so there you go. Wayne's World is great because of its characters. A young Mike Myers as Wayne Campbell and his dubious sidekick Garth (Dana Carvey) were hysterical in this film and did the original justice. I think the "quality" of the movie directly reflect the quality of the show, and by appearing to be low-quality, it's a reflection of the original. If you look at comedic quality - both are top notch. Great scriptwriting by Myers and the overall wackiness of the characters also makes this one of my personal favorites. Plus who didn't rock out in their car to Bohemian Rhapsody immediately after seeing this? OH YEAH, and Tia Carrere is HOT.

Anonymous said...

I love both those answers, but I'm going with Jackass: The Movie and Jackass: Number Two. Jackass the show was a revelation for me, as I watched crazy dudes do crazy things I couldn't imagine having the balls to do.

The first movie, was fantastic, full of homoeroticism and stupid pranks including a beautiful scene of Dave England shitting in a hardware store toilet display (after earlier shitting himself), but the second movie takes it to a new level. When Knoxville, Bam and Dunn took the rubber riot pellets from about 60 feet, I was sold. The commitment these guys (especially Knoxville) have to getting the shit kicked out of them for a laugh is both inspirational and effective. Adding nudity and swearing to the whole package of the TV show really improves on the whole thing.

A movie with insane comedy, violence, Rip Taylor and male nudity. What more can a straight guy ask for?

Anonymous said...

Did Cardamone say he liked something I did? Cardamone, just for that, I like your answer too, because any time I can laugh at other people's misfortune, it's a good time

O-Train said...

Kudos to Matty and Nick...both fine selections. Also, a nod to movies in the Muppets and Baywatch series.

However, the only true answer can be The Fugitive. Based on the TV series that ran from 1963 to 1967, the 1993 film featuring Harrison Ford captured all the elements of the television show, including the premise and characters, 30 years after the show first debuted. The movie was great at capturing the now-frantic actions of Dr. Richard Kimball while trying to prove his own innocence, and James Newton Howard's musical score was equally brilliant.

Besides, the movie also starred Joe Pantoliano. How can you go wrong?

Nicole Cammorata said...

Honorable mention: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Anonymous said...

Definitely South Park. I think the song "Blame Canada" was even nominated for an Oscar.

runners up:
The X-Files
Addams Family Values
Mission Impossible (the first one)

Unknown said...

Without question.... South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Wow that seems to be the popular vote. The only thing missing from that movie was Mr. Hankey... how I adore that piece of poo...