Check out our Sponsors

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Oh my God. It even has a watermark.

What is the best non-American sport? I'm looking for a sport that we don't really play here in the US, or at least play with any kind of regularity, so I'll just give you the list of ruled out sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, and Lacrosse. Other than that, just kinda use common sense.


Yesterday's Winners: O-Train, I respect your decision to go away from American Psycho, but you had to know that those were the answers I was going to choose. Matty wins, Martina with the runner-up

Matty:
Courtesy of IMDB, the only correct answer can be summed up in the best exchange of the best Wall Street movie:
Patrick Bateman: Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
Paul Allen: They're OK.
Patrick Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
Patrick Bateman: Yes, Allen?
Paul Allen: Why are their copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
Patrick Bateman: No, Allen.
Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
Patrick Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
[raises axe above head]
Patrick Bateman: Hey Paul!
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
Patrick Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

American Psycho, by a landslide. All I can say is why the fuck does he have a better business card than I do? Best. Wall Street movie. Ever.

Martina:
Well, you could always go for the obvious, like "Wall Street" starring michael douglas. But is it really that great of a movie...ehhh?
I know this movie doesn't technically take place on Wall Street (it's in Philly), but 'Trading Places' is probably one of the funniest movies ever about people with too much money. There is no denying Eddy Murphy's genius.
But, since it doesn't take place on Wall Street my vote goes to 'American Psycho.' The nice suites, the abundance of coke, Phil Colins and Huey Lewis and the News...not to mention the business card face-off, one of the most intelligent and hysterical scenes I have ever seen! I've become deeply frightened of investment bakers and stock brokers because of that movie.

9 comments:

Nicole Cammorata said...

Rugby: All the angst and force of hockey, but with the finesse of soccer and the drinking habits of a T's tuesday night (singing included). And they don't wear any pads - how badass is that?!

Becca said...

Cricket! Millions of foreigners can't be wrong! Wickets, bowlers, pitches...it's all too confusing and cool for Americans to embrace.

Anonymous said...

If it's not American, then it's not a real sport. This question is silly.

Anonymous said...

Ok...I take it back. It's all about Polo. Without it, there would be no douche bags popping their collars for me to make fun of. Plus, really rich people play it, even the princes of England, and that's kinda hot.

Anonymous said...

wow. I'm really sorry for using the word douche bag. I forgot that I wasn't 15. You HAVE to watch watch this preview for the movie "The Ten" if you haven't already seen it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dUBc0zAqa3s
it's genius.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to be restricted by your shortsighted listing of soccer. It is an extremely not-American sport, despite youth soccer participation. There's some love for soccer here, but it's not the mania that accompanies a match overseas.

The athleticism required for soccer is ridiculous. You have to have endurance, touch, speed and vision. Unless you're a striker like I was (also think Pippo Inzaghi, aka The Man That Bitch Slapped Liverpool as they Deserved to Be Bitch Slapped) and you have a sick burst of speed and the ability to score, but not many other discernible soccer skills (although to be fair to myself, I was excellent at crossing the ball from the right wing).

And there's the singing and drinking that rugby has, but without all that bothersome brain damage and being crippled for life stuff.

Plus, if Italy's better at it than everyone else (see World Cup 06 and Champions League '07), it's the best sport.

O-Train said...

Soccer also requires you to flop around on the pitch like a fruit anytime someone comes within 2 feet of you, and an inane ability to whine to officials.

That being said, we're 6 short days from 2007 Opening Day at Saratoga, and I'm going with thoroughbred racing. A sport not played with any sort of regularity, jockeys are often bulemic/anorexic to maintain weight, coupled with the cruel nature of being borderline midget-short. Jerry Bailey, one of the greatest jockeys of all time, was a functioning alcoholic who, as he put it, "only drank when (he) was alone or with somebody." As a spectator, there's booze and cigars, gambling, hot chicks in cotton summer dresses, and the ever-present possibility that your horse could croak before it hits the finish line (it happened to my dad about 8-9 years ago. The horse he bet on had a heart attack as it made the final turn down to the stretch). With the various wagers, there's always the dream that you'll hit the "Pick 6" and won't have to go to work the next day (Opening Day '05 I had the first 4 races). Simply put, there's a reason thoroughbred racing is called "The Sport of Kings."

(side note: I'm mired in such a slump because Matty and Ray are in cahoots, and it's so bad that I'm turning to "what the hell" answers on these things and lobbing personal attacks at Cardamone. Nick, I'm sorry dude, but I'm batting below the Mendoza Line on this shit.)

Anonymous said...

Cricket, because it lasts forever and we invented a version which can be played in the basement.

Anonymous said...

I got thick skin, it's okay O-Train.

Plus, flopping around like a fish was always one of my special skills