Check out our Sponsors

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Apologies for no question yesterday, there were only a few responses and I was otherwise detained.

What is the best piece of profanity known to man?

Yesterday's: Matty with an honorable mention to Cama.

Matty:
Super Mario Bros. is by far the greatest video game movie ever. John Leguizamo as Luigi, Bob Hoskins as Mario, and who could forget the beautiful Samantha Mathis as Princess Toadstool. Top it off with Dennis Hopper as King Koopa and that might be the best cast ever up until The Departed (ok, that's a stretch, but it is a pretty awesome cast).
And if you really want to put this cast into perspective and think about the hilarity of them playing these characters, consider that Hoskins has been Nikita Kruschev and Smee, Leguizamo has been Toulouse-Latrec and Tybalt, and Mathis was in Lost and American Psycho. Needless to say, Super Mario Bros was the height of their acting careers (ok, maybe not, but it's still a fucking awesome movie and the BEST. VIDEO GAME MOVIE. EVER.)


Cama:
Tron. They are IN the video game. This movie fucked with my head so much because I never quite got it, never really understood what was going on, but instead just stared open-mouthed at the screen. I couldn't tell you what the movie was about other than that they were IN the game. Also, one time when our band director was out sick, he had us watch Tron in his absence, and I could never quite understand why. Add to all that the awesomeness of the 80s, and you've got one hell of a video game-themed movie.

I personally have to go for 1989's "The Wizard" starring Fred Savage, Christian Slater, and Jeff Bridges' (star of Tron) nobody brother Beau. That kid was awesome at videogames. I wanted to be him. I kinda still do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word "Fuck." Think about it, it's every part of speech rolled into one, neat little word. Not only is it the best swear word, it's an important part of pretty much everyone's vocab (well, at least mine). I don't want to live in a world where fuck isn't a word. It would severely curtail my vocab (v-chip style).
Honorable mention goes to bollox. When did this word lose favor? It's an amazing swear that really needs to find its way back into every day use.

Unknown said...

I would have to say that the word "shit" holds a special place in my heart. It can be a noun--"watch out for dog shit!" or "why are you being such a shit?" It can be a verb--"Dude I need to shit like you wouldn't believe!" or past tense verb "I think I just shat a donkey." It can also be an adjective--"The way you handled that situation was really shitty" or "Damn, you've got some shitty breath yo!"

Shit can also be combined with words to form great phrases that we all know and love such as "shit-faced cock sucker" or "dog shit taco". Shit is also one of the first swear words you learn, aka "the s word", and I remember the first time I heard it, it was used in the adjective tense when my friend's mom told this girl she did a real shitty thing. At the time I knew it was a bad word, but I didn't know how bad, but I wouldn't dare repeat it until later on in life...more specifically, like 2 weeks ago. Just kidding. But alas, this is why I think "shit" is the best piece of profanity.

Anonymous said...

With apologies to fuck and motherfucker, words that entered my vocab in about fifth grade and truly changed my life for the better, I have to say 'cunt' is the best profane word in existence.

Fuck still possesses the ability to surprise, but nothing can draw a reaction like dropping cunt somewhere in a conversation. Refer to a woman as a cunt, and you've gone even further than calling her a heinous bitch, you're going for the throat. As the Charlestown Chiefs' Morris Wanchuk eloquently stated about a female soap opera character that had sold a guy's shit out from under him while he was in a coma, "That cunt is no good."

In America, cunt has retained its spot as the least used of the profanities, and it's dirtiness really inspires me. To date, I'd say it's the one profanity I'll ever pause (occasionally) before I say. But my god do I love to say it. The blunt force of cunt rolling off your tongue is a special thrill, especially knowing how destructive it can be.

mmm....cunt.

Becca said...

Motherfucker. 'Cause, really, why is it an insult to say that someone has sex with mothers? I mean, the number of MILFs in the world is increasing exponentially thanks to plastic surgery and advances in skin care. But mostly, I like the way it rolls off the tongue...motherfucker.

O-Train said...

As anyone who has been on the phone with me while I'm driving knows, "cunt" is by far my favorite and the best of all profanities. I didn't have time to post before Cardamone (have pity on the working man), but I'm in total agreement.

Part of the reason it's so good is because of what Nick alluded to earlier in that it's never been embraced like others. Across the pond, it's tossed around casually, but if you use it in the states, you are liable to quiet an entire room (see also http://youtube.com/watch?v=4E_7q4hzWFc).