Check out our Sponsors

Monday, June 25, 2007

Wow

Sweet. That was awesome, was that question just that much better than the day before's? (That's not the question for today, hypothetical only, and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer).

In the drinking/movie category:

We all know certain movie character's by what they drink. We know every line of the movie (at least I do) and know exactly what our favorite character is going to order at the bar before theyeven get there, so I put it to you: what is the best signature drink for any movie character?

Things to consider: How well does the drink fit the character's personality? It doesn't matter if you like the drink or not.

Yesterday's Winners: Christ, these were a lot of good answers. Nicole, you know how to flatter me so you sneak in with an honorable mention. As for a winner, I'm torn so I'll just put what each different part of me feels.


The English Major in me: Millsy
I was trying to figure out an articulate or skillful ways to make this point. But then I remembered my judge, and I could give the worst answer ever and still be picked the winner. The answer is Apocalypse Now and the reason can be found 56 seconds into this youtube clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RHDjbsydWI4

Now, Ray, I could come up with a host of other reasons--principally Dennis Hopper, but also the fact that this movie took up 2 weeks of English class in high school-- but it doesn't matter. The bearded english nerd in you can't vote against Conrad and I don't know a self-respecting Italian that would vote against Brando.

The Wop in me: O-Train
"The Godfather" was recently pushed up to #2 on the AFI's Top 100 List, and Mario Puzo's novel is equally brilliant. While Puzo's novel includes a little more history (covered in Godfather: Part II and later in The Godfather Trilogy re-edit)it's an excellent story. The plot is realistic and immitates life (i.e. Johnny Fontaine as Frank Sinatra, with the movie in question being "From Here to Eternity" ). It's realistic enough to make anyone wonder how Puzo got some of the information he used to so perfectly draft this story. The movie speaks for itself.

Honorable Mention: Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella...the source for "Field of Dreams."

The Music Lover in me: Becca
High Fidelity, but that is only because you convinced me.

Mostly, I tend to hate comparing movies to the books they were based on. For example, I love Fever Pitch because of the Sox connection, but it goes so far off from Hornby's book. The other thing I hate about movies based on books is that I can't read the book the same way anymore. I lose my mental image of the characters and replace them with the actors. These movies kill the reader's ability to interpret a story in their own way, which brings me back to High Fidelity. John Cusack is the fucking man. He IS Rob.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best drink, without question, is the white russian for The Dude. It's a drink that reflects a certain lazy, carefree lifestyle, thus perfectly fitting the man who might be the laziest in Los Angeles...which would put him pretty high in the running worldwide.

Anonymous said...

The Englishman in me cannot go against my roots. "Shaken, not stirred" is a classic movie line. Walk down the street and ask anyone what James Bond drinks, and I'll bet everyone knows it. The fact that in the new movie they actually explained that the drink is a Vesper was an amazing (and necessary) touch.
Everything that a martini symbolizes; arrogance, brashness, classy, that is what James Bond is.

jaybruzz said...

since the best two answers are already taken (the Dude and Bond) I'm going to go with something a little offbeat (as I tend to) - Frank the Tank and the beer bong. He defined college for us, unfortunately, and we had to put up with "It's so good...It's so good when it his your lips" come out of the mouth of everyone who hammered one.

Unknown said...

I've decided to pop my own DQD cherry tonight and let me tell you, this is a special time for me. I have two answers. 1) Mugatu and a foamy latte (I couldn't resist - I know this wasn't the type of drink you had in mind, but I had to go there). 2) Ron Burgundy and scotch.

Becca said...

Phoebe wanted me to put in her entry of: John Candy's Orange Whip from Blues Brothers. No reason given.

As for me, my vote goes to (while not a movie character YET, he will be at the end of July) Homer Simpson and Duff Beer. Duffman, oh yeah!