Check out our Sponsors

Monday, June 18, 2007

Are you a Mexi can, or a Mexi can't?

We've done worst, let's do best tonight.

What is the best trilogy in cinematic history?

Yesterday's winner: I need to provide my rationale here. First off, JayBruzz, I respect the hell out of you for making a really good argument that everyone is going to hate you for, and you do make a pretty good argument. I have to admit, I grew to hate Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane, especially when they went lighter with her hair in the second and third movies. I've gotta go with Matty though and here's why: The same man who wrote and directed the El Mariachi Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon a time in Mexico) and who is in the process of directing the Sin City Trilogy, is responsible for this:

Ok, so I put a lot of thought into this. I think Becca is on the right track, but MVP was pretty awesome considering the fucking monkey skates around. That makes the first one pretty awesome. I decided to exclude all trilogies that came from Disney wanting money (ie, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, etc) and anything where a movie wasn't released in theaters. Second, to be a terrible trilogy you have to have three bad movies. One can't be freakin' awesome and you can't be like, well they all sucked except that one was amazing. Goodbye Matrix, Star Wars, Robo Cop, etc. So where does this leave us? Spy Kids. I fucking hate all of those movies and I would rather watch infomercials for 3 weeks straight if it meant those movies had never been made. No wait, I'd rather watch WOMEN'S BASKETBALL than watch those movies. Antonio Banderas and Tony Shalhoub, what were you thinking?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My initial gut instinct was for Austin Powers because they're all fucking brilliant, and it's not one that you would really think of. Plus, I don't really think it's the best ever.

Then I thought Lord of the Rings (LOTR for us nerds out there), but I feel like it's just so fucking long that I don't know if I could sit down and watch them all back-to-back-to-back.

Then I thought Indiana Jones, but I think Temple of Doom kind of brings it down. Despite the amazingness of Short-Round, Kate Capshaw is just such a whiny bitch in that movie I wish her heart HAD been removed from her chest.

So now that we know what it isn't, I have to give the nod to Star Wars IV-VI. From Boba Fett to Jabba the Hutt, Chewie and Yoda to the Ewoks, that series has amazing characters. George Lucas did something revolutionary when he made the movies and their impact shows at every nerd convention from here to Beijing. Those movies are brilliant and if they had not been as amazing as they are, I don't know that the trilogy would be as popular as it is today (especially this summer).

jaybruzz said...

spy kids?!?!? matty violates his own rules by including spy kids 2 and 3 which were obviously made just to make a quick buck. noone expected these movies to be made and they don't even carry on a story line as far as I know, making them sequels but not a trilogy. I move that Matty's win be stricken from the record!

and the Godfather movies don't count because the third one sucked so much. the answer isn't Star Wars because Return of the Jedi sucked (ewoks?!?!?! Lando piloting the Millenium Flacon?!?! ANOTHER Death Star?!?!? that's what I call phoning it in).

Believe it or not, I'm voting for the Matrix movies. Completely original idea (fuck off, LOTR) including a revolutionary first movie and two immensely entertaining last two movies. I am definitely not arguing that these are particularly great movies, but rather they work amazingly well as a trilogy. Even after Neo learns to kill everything that moves, they retain a great challenge for him with Mr. Smith and really deliver with the final battle scene against the machines. They aren't the best movies ever made - they just do the best of satisfying what a trilogy should be - a consistent story told in three interesting, distinct, but inter-related parts.

Oh man, there's no way I'm winning with that.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jason, Lando piloting a ship that originally belonged to him was implausible. Come on now...you're better than that.

Anyway, my only improvement on Matty's argument is that the Ewoks aren't a positive. However, the original trilogy is without a doubt the best there's ever been.

Becca said...

I liked the first Spy Kids. Screw you guys.

As for best trilogy, how are you boys not going for the Godfather movies? Not that I'm choosing them either.

I pick the Evil Dead trilogy. Not cinematic masterpieces, but the ultimate cult classics. The best part is that they got better and better.

"Ok you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"

Unknown said...

It's gotta be the original Star Wars Trilogy. The following links should suffice as my entire argument...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkc0UhsNaC8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwiFqDGYmpI

Not sure if the links will work, so just copy-paste.

Anonymous said...

Fine ill be the dirty italian and say the godfather one because it has everything that could be asked for in a movie violence, romance, culture (bilingual) ... and all that other shit im too lazy to type. I mean what is more attractive then a bunch of italians in suits. Plus, the godfather had Al Pacino, who is the man and not just some midgets in robot machines.

O-Train said...

I, too, am going with The Godfather Trilogy, supporting the Dago reasoning of Uncle Bubba. The first two are timeless classics and a part of American film lore. While the third movie was not as good as the first two, it served the purpose of a trilogy in tying up the loose ends and bringing the story to a close. The film finds redemption in the closing sequence after Sofia Coppola gets capped (a great scene because it ends her acting). We see Corleone, once powerful, reminiscing about all the women in his life while Mascagni's "Intermezzo" plays softly in the background, completing one of the most perfect music-scene compilations ever.