Check out our Sponsors

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I was going to make today's question the opposite of yesterday's and ask about the best in the business as far as broadcasting goes, but I probably wouldn't have accepted any answer other than Jets' Radio broadcaster Bob Wischusen, so I decided against it. Instead, in honor of the fortieth anniversary of Nicole Kidman's birth:

What is the best thing to ever come out of Australia?

Yesterday's champ: I've gotta give it to O-Train just because of the Harry Caray anecdote

You can't talk about a "homer" without mentioning the name Johnny Most, the legendary Celtics broadcaster. Fans would mute their televisions and listen to Most's broadcasts and swear that two different games were happening. Crowing in his trademark raspy voice from "high above courtside," he might be the only broadcaster to drop a lit cigarette in his own lap during a live broadcast.

Most was a "homer" in every sense of the word, and was downright vicious towards opponents (for example, he frequently referred to Magic as "Crybaby" Johnson). Perhaps his most famous call was during the playoff series vs. Detroit:
"There is a violent, violent knockdown by Laimbeer and Bird just smacked him! Oh my! Oh, the yellow, gutless way they do things here! They have been called a dirty ballclub and I can see why! This is a typical, disgusting display by Rodman, Laimbeer and Isiah Thomas! And they told me I shouldn’t say bad things about Isiah and I say ‘why not!’"

My honorable mention goes to the great Harry Caray, who rooted for the Cubs, but broadcast like a true fan. For example, Cubs OF Jorge Orta dropped the ball once, inspiring Caray to say, "How could he lose the ball in the sun? He's from Mexico!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jet. They're an amazing band and awesome live act. I don't know what else to say.
Honorable mention to Oceanic flight #815.

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of everything being gay, Baz Luhrmann, because you can't get much better than Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman or Romeo and Juliet and with Claire Danes. Plus he is in the process of filming a movie called "Australia" which includes Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. Aussie Aussie Aussie!

runner-up = Joseph Hachem (2005 WSOP Main Event winner)

Anonymous said...

ACDC. fucking Duhh!


and hugh jackman...(drool)

Anonymous said...

No-brainer, it's Elle MacPherson...aka the woman I wanted to have sex with before I knew I was supposed to want to have sex with women. (thanks Hornby)

Nothing better than being like seven years old and sneaking out my dad's Swimsuit Issues to see pics of Elle.

Also, since Matty mentioned Jet before AC/DC was mentioned, he officially sucks balls.

Jet's like AC/DC with a vagina. Only less cool.

O-Train said...

For once, I have to agree with Nick and go with Elle "The Body" MacPherson. She was the foreign Cindy Crawford, the one woman that everyone at the lunch table wanted to date before we wanted to date girls. Phenomenal in her younger years, she's now been elevated to MILF status

I'll also give a nod to Foster's Oil Cans. 26 oz. of beer is rarely ever a bad thing, unless it's Coors Light.

Nicole Cammorata said...

"Tommy Tricker the Stamp Collector" - it was this Disney Channel movie from when we were kids, about this Australian kid who can shrink down and ride on a stamp. It came out during that time when I was about 8 and almost all the shows and movies on Disney/Nickelodeon were outsourced to either Canada or Australia. The movie is amazing and I was obsessed with it. It was only recently that I figured out the title, but for years I've been asking people if they remembered it. So far it's me, my family, and a co-worker that are the only ones who remember it. I assure you though, it's some fine entertainment.

Runner up: Mad Max. (And he is a CLOSE second, let me tell you.)