Check out our Sponsors

Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm glad Nick still checks these

What is the all-time best movie that you're ashamed to admit you love?

Friday's: Oh so many to choose from. His list does resemble mine though, especially the first three.

Nick:
This will be mostly dark, but nice people really don't interest me. I understand how they think and can see why they think that way.

1. Adolf Hitler - Obviously he's evil as hell, but he is interesting as hell also.

2. Josef Stalin - The amount of people he had killed is staggering.

3. Brian Wilson - He was fucked up in the head, yet created some of the most beautiful and pleasing music ever for the Beach Boys.

4. John Cazale - Because he had the greatest stretch of movies ever. The Godfather, Godfather II, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter, before dying waaaay too young of lung cancer. Every film he ever acted in was nominated for Best Picture, and he acted with the incredible heavyweights, Pacino, Brando, DeNiro, Streep...

5. Scarlett Johansson - Because there's nothing not interesting about them titties.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the only kind of competition I'm equipped to consistently win...an unopposed one (hey, I'm kind of like this year's Michigan team, huh?)

As far as a movie I'm ashamed to admit I love, I'm gonna go with two.

The Boondock Saints: Saw it when I was either a high school senior or college freshman, loved the hell out of it. Bought it, watched it a ton, realized that every time I watched it I noticed things I didn't like about it. It's not a very original movie, it's not particularly well-acted (Norman Reedus goes from California to Irish accent constantly...Flannery's better) and it was made by an incredible douchebag (watch the documentary Overnight for the proof of that). I mean, when a movie rips off Tarantino, it's really ripping off even more, older movies, and that's what Saints does. In addition, the idea that they have an Italian man named 'Yakavetta' bothers me more every time I see it. There's no goddamn 'y' or 'k' in the Italian language...it just looks lazy to have that. Basically, Saints is a movie of style over substance and it's not that good.

All that said, I still love watching it. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Red Dawn: The Russians invade the US during the Cold War. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Jennifer Grey, the kid who played Leif Garrett's buddy in The Outsiders and some random hispanic kid go insurgent. With supporting turns by Harry Dean Stanton (AVENGE ME!!), Powers Boothe and the guy who played the editor in Lois and Clark (kill me now for referencing that show...I don't know if I've ever felt more ashamed) as the mayor.

Just a fucking brilliant tale of paranoia during the 80s, and the first PG-13 movie ever. This movie is just too good, from the opening scene of paratroopers landing to the really, really hacky voice over at the end, I can watch Red Dawn anytime, anywhere.

Becca said...

I think about these questions, but by the time I have a chance to answer, my brain is too fried from class and such.

Ergo, I will say the Lord of The Rings movies and be done with it.

Anonymous said...

I have three.

Center Stage.
The Mighty Ducks.
Fear.

Center Stage is so bad it's good. And they used Jamiroquai's "Canned Heat" before Napoleon Dynomite did. Ballet dancers + Peter Gallagher's amazing eyebrows equals 1.5 hours of amazingness.

The Mighty Ducks was the first movie that graced me with the genius of Emilio Esteves (unfortunately, I had not been introduced to the Breakfast Club until years later). It's definitely not in Sandlot terrritory, but this movie was my childhood and made Joshua Jackson my first celebrity crush.

Lastly, there's Fear. It wasn't till recently when I watched it on some shitty cable movie channel when I realized, "Holy Shit! That's Gil Grissom!" And basically anything with him kicks ass. And let us not forget the roller coaster scene with the Sunday's "wild horses" playing in the background. That soundtrack was damn good.
Nicole 4 Eva.