Check out our Sponsors

Thursday, September 27, 2007

a food question

What is the best kind of cheese?

Cheeses to consider: Cheddar, Jack, Pepper Jack, Pecorino Romano, provalone, mozzarella, edam, brie, ricotta, american, parmesan, limberger, swiss.


Yesterday's: I'm going to declare matty and nick co-winners for taking different views on this question, but i agree first and foremost with nick that politics are generally pretty worthless, hooray anarchy. Becca gets an honorable mention for just wanting to make sure that nick wasn't the only one to answer. No offense, but Kerry was a worthless candidate and, as a republican, I wish like hell the democrats would put up a worthwhile candidate because it would mean that we might have to as well. Show me McCain.

Nick:
It's funny...I'm liberal, but I kind of hate the Democratic Party. It continually churns out these shitty Presidential candidates (Gore - I wrote in McCain, Kerry - I voted for Kerry, and then sighed because I didn't think he was all that great) and doesn't even manage to fight all that well. Basically, the party as a whole is a bunch of pussies. Too bad 98% of the Republican Party is pure evil, and god knows we don't want that. I mean...this is a party that supports, wholeheartedly, the idea that George Bush was a better leader than John McCain. It's truly incredible.

As for the biggest political blunder, I'm gonna go back to Nixon sending guys into the Watergate Hotel. He was gonna win, there was no doubt, and yet he couldn't help himself because he was just a devious control freak. Asshole killed his own career without it being necessary.

(Also, I chose this over any wars, because I think wars are blunders that transcend politics...many of them are blunders of humanity, on both sides...also, Matty took Vietnam).

Politics, and politicians suck. All of em. They're blood suckers more concerned with the next election than doing anything right. Anarchy in the US.

Matty:
Vietnam. Iraq is divisive and bad, but the national and international turmoil that Vietnam caused will be hard to replicate. Becoming involved in the first place was a bad idea, but as soon as we invaded Cambodia it was all downhill from there. There was no reason for us to be there in the first place and caused irreparable damage to our international reputation. The blow to the national pysche was bad enough, but the after effects have been worse than Eric Lindros's post concussion syndrome.

10 comments:

Nicole Cammorata said...

You're a REPUBLICAN???

Nicole Cammorata said...

I like Bufala Mozzerella because it has a light, refreshing taste when cold and when heated, the taste matures, is more rich, elevated.

Runner up: Gouda, Chevre. I could eat Chevre with a spoon all day long if you'd let me.

Though these days I'm lactose intolerant, so cheese is now just a fond, distant memory. Ah, how I long for a spoonful of goat cheese or a nice slab of gouda.

Anonymous said...

It's gotta be ricotta, because it's used in cannolis AND can be used for lasagna and stuffed shells and stuff like that.

Game over, it's a cheese that can be used in Italian desserts and meals. It literally may be the most perfect thing ever to appear on this planet.

Anonymous said...

Parmesan. Without this amazing cheese we wouldn't have chicken parm, veal parm, or eggplant parm. What would we top off our pasta with? It's the cheese that makes everything perfect. Put it on a salad just to give you a little extra flavor. It's a versatile and flavorful cheese.

Nicole Cammorata said...

FYI Ray: Today is "Ask a stupid question day." It's like they're honoring you!

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing, Matty. With parmesan, you can replace parmisan cheese with romano cheese when you're using the grated variety for pasta, while the thing with chicken/veal/eggplant parm is that it's often cooked with mozzarella as the main cheese topping.

Parmesan, while quite tasty, is overrated due to name recognition.

O-Train said...

I'm voting for provolone because it hasn't been mentioned yet, and it's underrated as a cheese. It can be mild or incredibly strong, and is fantastic on veal, chicken or eggplant parm.

Also, it was immortalized in an episode of The Sopranos where Silvio Danta (Steve Van Zandt) is losing at poker, and one of the underlings is trying to sweep a piece of cheese away from his feet in the middle of the game. He says, "Leave the fucking cheese there, all right? I love fuckin' cheese at my feet! I stick motherfuckin' provolone in my socks at night, so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning. Alright? Now leave the fucking cocksucking cheese where it is! Here, here, here. (Throws cheese from his plate onto the floor) Go ahead! Have a good time!"

Becca said...

This question comes at a perfect time, since I was at the store yesterday with only enough money to buy one kind of cheese. I shop about once a month, so this cheese had to be versatile. After much consideration, I decided on mozzerella. I can put it on anything. Chicken, pasta, turkey sandwich, etc. While mozzerella may not have the flavor of a nice Sharpe Cheddar or a Parmesan, I've never met anyone who didn't like mozzerella.

Nods to a nice Colby/Jack mix and those Babybel cheeses that come individually packaged.

Anonymous said...

Gouda!
It has just the right amount of smokey bite, and it tastes fantastic on sandwiches! Definitely not for those who prefer a mild cheese, which can be just as enjoyable. Some of my personal favorites are jack, buffalo and skim mozzarella, brie, and goat. Goat cheese is really good on pizza, by the way. But yeah, gouda all the way. Just because gouda is fun to say. say it with me now...gooouuuuuddda. so fun.

Becca said...

If you're a cheese fan and/or a Pinky and the Brain fan, you must watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufJTqT5gMg0

I find myself singing this song quite often when browsing the dairy section of the supermarket.